When you think ‘coconut oil’ you probably imagine yourself sun tanning on your dream vacation with a bottle of the aforementioned at your side, sipping a coconut-blended piña colada. Perhaps a snap you back to reality, but an increasing amount of research shows that there many more ways to benefit from the edible oil extracted from the kernel of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm.
1. Firstly, coconut oil is a core ingredient in many natural beauty products as it is organically antifungal and antibacterial. Besides smelling like divine cookies, the oil serves as an excellent, luxurious and cheaper-than-drugstore skin moisturizer as it penetrates hair better than other oils thanks to its low molecular weight and the way it bonds with proteins.
2. More good news is that using organic virgin coconut oil can soothe dry hands — or any dry areas of the body — as it increases skin hydration and reduces water loss, keeping your skin soft and moist and keeping you looking and feeling vibrant.
3. Since coconut oil is great at hair penetration — and protein loss prevention — it is often contained in hair conditioners. You can apply it to your hair at night, sleep with it on, wash it out with shampoo in the morning and you’ll be amazed at its deep-conditioning and shine-inducing properties.
4. Another tip is to use coconut oil on your legs or underarms for a nice clean shave instead of applying toxic and expensive shaving creams. It is also excellent for atopic dermatitis; and can be dabbed on cold sores to speed up the healing process, eliminate pain, and reduce the risk of discoloration or scarring.
5. Last, but certainly not least, it should be an integral part of your makeup removal routine as it kills bacteria (no more breakouts), even works on waterproof mascara, and leaves the skin around your eyes, neck and face feeling cleansed and hydrated.
So, when you do get to go on your dream vacation, make sure to pack in a jar of this natural miracle along with the tanning lotion!